Happy Birthday to me!!! A week ago, I turned the big 3-0. I woke up on the day of my birthday and checked to see whether any gray hairs began sprouting—thankfully I saw none. I got out of the bed and did a couple stretches—nothing cracked or broke. Then, for good measure, I put on a pair of jeans I purchased six years ago, and I had to suck my tummy in they still fit like a glove—check! Realized this turning 30 thing might be a great thing not that bad after all. I am not sure why 30 has become such a milestone. It seems like the only age one looks forward to (or dreads) after turning 21. What happened to the nine years in between, do they go by unnoticed?
One might say that those nine years are times of tremendous growth (or lack thereof). Someone told me that my 30’s would be the best years of my life. I think that’s also what I was told when I turned 20. Nevertheless, as I sat down thinking about the culmination of embarking on a new decade, I came up with the following list:
10 Things I Know at 30:
- Better to have a few friends and many acquaintances.
- There’s so much that I don’t know and will continue to learn.
- I’m not perfect, and will never be—and that’s okay.
- You won’t be liked by all, and that’s okay too.
- It’s not what you know or who you know, it’s how you use (network) what you know and who you know.
- Sleep does a body good (and so does regular exercise).
- Don’t burn bridges, because you may need to cross one someday.
- Your reputation is your most valuable asset.
- Failure (and heartbreak) will occur (more than once) and with the right attitude, you’ll bounce back.
- We all make mistakes, the lesson is in learning to make things right.
For all of you who are official members of the 30+ club, feel free to add to the list.
Here’s to turning 30! Hoping it will be a fabulous decade!!